Re: [PARPORT] Patch: Parport Winbond detection and misc (2.3.46)

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 13:12:21 EST

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Gunther Mayer wrote:

    > Highlights:
    > - Support for Winbond Super-IO chips (expandable to other manufacturers)
    > "insmod parport_pc superio=1 irq=auto dma=auto" to autodetect and
    > report it

    This is quite neat. I wonder if it's possible to detect it without
    needing 'superio=1'..?

    > - Provide more human-readable output on assorted places, to
    > assist further progress on debugging and features
    > - Correct very minor glitches concerning ECP/ISA standard obeyance
    > (major glitches not yet addressed :-)

    Can you send these to me as separate patches please?

    > Other Changes
    > - Print the complete IEEE1284 Device ID (unmangled) and
    > be merciful to devices that didn't get everything right

    I don't think this is really necessary -- it's already available in /proc
    anyway. I quite like the pretty printing.

    > The idea is switching DPRINTK off as done in this patch.

    I'd like to keep that on a while longer.

    > - The "lp" driver registers itself to "/proc/driver/lp" and gives some
    > fancy human-readable output. Here I can see how slow my printer is :-)

    Let's be careful about adding more file formats! (There's always tunelp
    for this sort of thing..)

    > Actually I wonder if I can use ECP to speak to my printer, that does
    > currently only 20K/sec in SPP mode. A quick hack only hung both linux
    > and the printer completely.

    I've wondered about this too, but I don't have a printer that speaks ECP.

    Thanks,