Re: [PARPORT] SI-390A parallel to ide problems

From: grant@torque.net
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 07:20:48 EST

    > Tim Waugh wrote:
    > >
    > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Tim Coninx wrote:
    > >
    > > > Ok, about my computer.
    > > >
    > > > Dual P III with 128MB memory
    > > > Debian 2.2 (potato)
    > > > Kernel 2.3.41 (with paride, epat and pcd as modules)
    > > > Parallel port set in bios on EPP
    > >
    > > Does it work better in non-EPP bidirectional mode? I know it will be
    > > slower, but it's a useful datapoint.
    >
    > Ok, before you reply on my previous posting. The modes I tried were
    > - EPP 1.7
    > - SPP
    > - EPP 1.9 (wich worked best)
    >
    > I set the bios to once to ECP, but as I didn't enable FIFO queues in the
    > kernel, the kernel probably didn't use it (but SPP instead).
    >
    > Tomorrow: the ECP side of the story ;-)

    ECP won't do you any good - the epat driver won't use it.

    In Tim's original response, he suggested "bidirectional" mode. I'd like
    to encourage you to try that - it may be called "PS/2" mode in your BIOS.

    You should also post the dmesg output from loading the pcd module with the
    "verbose=1" argument. That will show us which modes the epat driver is
    able to use with your device.

    Then, try using the drive0= parameters to force mode 0,1 or 2. (Read
    paride.txt for details, or check out the comments at the top of pcd.c.)

    However, I'm more inclined to suspect an SMP issue here. Have you tried
    booting in UP mode ?

    There were some old parallel port chips that caused problems like yours
    if they were used in any EPP-16 or EPP-32 mode, but I doubt if that is
    the problem.