Re: [PARPORT] It there a generic Parallel Port Sniffer

From: Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 16:51:57 EST

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Urban Widmark wrote:

    > To "sniff" I guess you want to continously read the state of all lines
    > and log that.

    It's not really that simple, unfortunately. To find out how a handshake
    works you need to watch both sides of it, and you have to make sure that
    the data signals are being driven at the appropriate ends -- if both the
    peripheral and the host drive the data signals, it'll lead to Trouble.

    I heard a rumour about the existence of a Windows VXD driver that's a
    simple pass-through software logging parallel port, but it doesn't work
    with all drivers (only newer ones, ISTR).