[PARPORT] Re: New queueing code

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 09:08:47 EST

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Eric Youngdale wrote:

    >[I finally got a response a couple of days ago which said that it was
    >evidently something in patch43 which broke paride].

    This was the interesting email I think:

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Erik Inge Bolsų wrote:

    >Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:40:09 +0100 (CET)
    >From: Erik Inge Bolsų <knan@mo.himolde.no>
    >To: Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>
    >Subject: Re: [PARPORT] New queueing code
    >
    >On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Tim Waugh wrote:
    >>Erik,
    >>
    >>Did you ever track down precisely which kernel version broke pd? I think
    >>you said it was somewhere between 2.3.41 and 2.3.45.
    >
    >No, but one Jeff Jennings did and found it broke in 2.3.43.
    >
    >42->43 ... Damn big patch ... have taken a small look at it and backed
    >off, myself. Good luck to you :-)
    >
    >--
    >Erik I. Bolsų <knan at mo.himolde.no> | <eriki at himolde.no>
    >.. student of IT administration at Molde College, Norway.

    Are you 200% sure it broke starting from 2.3.43? (so that it was working
    on 2.3.42?).

    > I took a look at patch 43 to see what changed - it wasn't anything that
    >I directly did myself,[..]

    There's nothing of invasive that could hurt paride in patch-2.3.43.

    But I bet the usual problem is that paride can't handle merged requests
    (if that's the case it got broken while dropping the big switch from 2.3.x
    make_request in 2.3.4_1_). Probably it would be safer to add a bitflag and
    to enable merging only in the blockdevices that was included into the big
    switch in 2.2.x (or that are been fixed in the 2.3.x cycle).

    I'll have a look at paride to see if the problem is the merged request
    thing...

    Thanks,
    Andrea