[PARPORT] Microsolutions Bantom Backpack CD-ROM

From: Paul.com (pasadoor@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 20:23:14 EDT

    I have been struggling with this for sometime now. Here is the situation:

    I have an NEC Versa/S33 laptop with a Backpack CD-ROM attached in which I am
    trying to install linux. The RH 6.1 cd is in the drive. I have downloaded
    the latest paride and boot images from red hat. I get the following
    message:

    /tmp/pcd.o init_module: Device or Resource already in use.

    When I attempt to boot with the 5.2 boot disk and CD-ROM, choose the
    microsolutions backpack cd-rom driver I get the following error, which
    appears in a dialog box:

    "I can't find the device anywhere on your system"

    Yes, the drive is on, the cd is in the drive, the drive is plugged into the
    parralel port, the parralel port is activated in the bios, there are no
    conflicts, and the backpack drive works with another system, and the
    parralel port works with a printer. I have the latest linux driver for this
    drive (which is brand new) which I downloaded from the mfg web site. I
    would like to know how to get this driver on the installation diskette so I
    can use it for the install, or if anyone has had this problem before.

    Thanks,

    paul.com