Re: [PARPORT] simple driver

From: Nordic Boy (jklaas@cs.albany.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 13:23:40 EDT

    On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Tim Waugh wrote:

    > There is a specification for this kind of thing (IEEE
    > 1284.3); unfortunately, ATEN seems to have ignored it. :-(

    Does this mean also then that the peripheral identification doesn't work
    either? Somehow the DOS/Windows drivers detect what this device
    is. However, when I look at /proc/parport/0/autoprobe it says

    MODEL:Unknown device;
    MANUFACTURER:Unknown vendor;

    Is this a symptom of the same thing?

    > > I have a copy of some dos example code (this was included in the
    > > drivers here: http://www.aten-usa.com/download/drivers/as2p161w.exe)
    > > and I am attempting to write drivers for linux that would make the
    > > switch operate essentially automatically (more on this later).
    >
    > (Incidentally, what's the license of the source code? The 'manual'
    > doesn't give programming information out..)

    Well, the code that comes with the driver I mentioned has nothing in the
    code itself regarding any copyright. However, all over the rest of the
    driver is stuff with Copyright ATEN on it.

    James Klaas