Re: [PARPORT] linux-kernel / plip.c : Small correction (?)

From: Philip Blundell (Philip.Blundell@pobox.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 14:57:17 EDT

    >>> if (pb->irq == -1) {
    >> printk(KERN_INFO "plip: %s has no IRQ. Using IRQ-less
    >
    >The problem with using prio INFO is that many distributions are
    >configured to only report WARNING and higher priorities to the console,
    >so the warning will not appear when loading the driver. In addition to
    >that, the driver really needs an irq to function properly, so not getting
    >one is rather like an error situation for the driver.That, IMHO, makes
    >ERR or WARNING the appropriate priority.

    If you change it to be higher priority, people who genuinely intended to run it
    without an irq will get messages on the console that they don't really want.
    I think it would be better to leave it how it is. You can always use `dmesg'
    to see the messages after the fact, no matter what their priority was.

    p.