Re: [PARPORT] Patch: 2.3.99pre8-lp.c Report Printer Status

From: Philip Blundell (Philip.Blundell@pobox.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 15:00:36 EDT

    >May 14 14:43:26 linux kernel: lp0 printer-not-ready out-of-paper (0x7f)
    ># Switched OFF
    >May 14 14:43:40 linux kernel: lp0 printer-not-ready off-line (0x4f) #
    >Becoming ready

    I'm not at all convinced these messages are an improvement on the old ones.
    Which status in particular was missing that you need?

    (You also removed `lp on fire', which is a definite retrograde step.)

    >Tim, I think this would be of great value for novice users (first time
    >printing with linux).

    Novice users would probably benefit more from some X application to pop up a
    message box when the printer has a problem. Odds are they aren't going to be
    looking at the console messages.

    p.