Re: [PARPORT] PPA driver crashes system when loaded

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 15:34:34 EDT

    On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 03:45:08PM +0100, Dr. Peter Cherriman wrote:

    > Under linux 2.2.14 the system autoloads the parport and parport_pc
    > modules, when I load the ppa module, the system crashes with a
    > "Ieee...in interupt handler", and scrolls all the ppa output of the
    > screen before I can blink. The system needs to reset with the reset
    > button.

    Please try to capture this oops message and decode it (see
    oops-tracing.txt). If you can't scroll up (shift-pgup), you could try
    using a serial console. Failing that, you could use a parallel port
    console (you'll need to apply a patch).

    > Under linux 2.3.99pre8, when I load the ppa module it says found
    > parallel port, with EPP but only used the PS2 mode (bios set to
    > SPP), it then says one scsi device found, however /proc/scsi/scsi
    > doesn't show any scsi devices and loading the scsi disk module
    > (sd_mod) does not do anything, but then attempting to unload the
    > sd_mod module locks the computer.

    Can you show me the actual messages?

    > Anyone else had similar problems or found a fix?

    I've not heard of anything like this.

    > Also is there a newer ppa driver than 2.03 which is found in the
    > latest kernel, I looked on the torque.net web site, but most of the
    > links to tar files on the page are broken.

    No, what's in the kernel is the latest there is. David Campbell's
    site is unmaintained. :-(