Re: [PARPORT] Parallel ZIP-drive is little buggy with kernel 2.4.0-test1

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 16:51:47 EDT

    On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 09:30:38PM +0200, The Contact wrote:

    > Well, first of all: I managed to patch the kernel (now working with
    > 2.4.0test1-ac9), but I found out the next thing:

    Right.

    > Because I said to my BIOS to use EPP instead of ECP+EPP, I can't print
    > anymore with my printer (through my ZIP-drive). When I change the
    > BIOS-setting to ECP+EPP, I can print.

    This is a bug: you ought to be able to print regardless of the port's
    mode. What exactly happens when you try to print, through the ZIP
    drive, when in EPP mode? Are there any kernel messages? What is the
    behaviour of this:

    # echo blah > /dev/lp0

    Being able to use more than one device at a time is kinda the
    _point_. :-)

    > - Use EPP Only, getting better performance by my ZIP-drive (although not
    > yet as it should be),

    Do you still find it faster under 2.2? Can you show me timings? As I
    said, I found it quite a lot faster to do a 'cp', but I think a lot of
    that is to do with VM changes rather than anything in the driver.

    > If necessary I can attach my settings of my configuration of xconfig
    > (12K) at a mail, so if you think it could help, please mail me, so I can
    > mail it to you.

    It probably won't help, although relevant sections of dmesg output
    might.

    Thanks,