Re: [PARPORT] new library 'parapin' for parallel port programming

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 10:28:33 EDT

    On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 07:16:51AM -0700, Jeremy Elson wrote:

    > There are at least a couple of enhancements I have in mind also that
    > I'd like to get around to eventually. Mainly:
    >
    > 1- support for more than one parallel port in the kernel-module version.
    [...]

    Yes. The thing I spotted was that you have 'int' (or is it 'unsigned
    int') to describe a port address. I think that needs to be 'unsigned
    long'. Ideally you'd have some other way of specifying a port, or of
    finding out what ports there are, since PCI ports can change their
    base addresses from boot to boot and PCMCIA ports don't even _have_
    base addresses.

    The other thing is that user-space applications can use interrupts if
    they have a little bit of kernel help. Read up on ppdev if you
    haven't already.