[PARPORT] HP Colorado 8GB Problems

From: Philipp Schulte (philipp.schulte@arcormail.de)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 03:14:52 EDT

    Hello,
    I am having some problems with my HP Colorado 8GB. It is an external
    drive, connected to the parallel port (that's why I chose this ML :)
    The main problem is, that the backup seems to be too slow. I got less
    than 10 MB/min. I wouldn't complain on that but as a matter of fact my
    brother can backup with about 15 MB/min with the same tape drive but
    with a much slower computer. Of course I stopped all heavy processes.
    Also I got this error sometimes:

    kernel: pt0: write DSC timeout
    kernel: pt0: Sense key: 0, ASC: 0, ASQ: 0

    What I tried to solve the problems:
     - changed the IRQ and the port of the parport in BIOS
       (currently it is IRQ 5 and port 3BC)
     - changed EPP-Mode from 1.7 to 1.9
     - changed the mode and the delay as described in pt.c
     - changes the blocksize with the "-b" option in tar to 32kb

    The last two methods caused some improvement. First I got a timeout
    after about 20 min. I put the system in Single user mode and started
    again with this command:

    time tar -cv -b 64 -T backup.txt -f /dev/pt0

    I wrote more than 3GB to the tape with an average speed of about 13
    MB/min. This is not too bad but it is still strange that my brother
    gets 15 MB/min out of the box with a slower machine.

    My configuration:
    Athlon 550
    256MB RAM
    20GB IBM-HD (UDMA 33)
    Kernel 2.2.16

    My brother's configuration:
    AMD-K6-2 500
    128MB RAM
    Kernel: probably 2.4.0-test1-ac25-very-new-just-released-2 ;)

    Any ideas?
    Phil