Re: [PARPORT] tape backup with dd

From: Christian Eriksson (c-eriks@algonet.se)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 06:45:01 EDT

    James Mckenzie wrote:

    > Christian Eriksson wrote:
    > >
    > > I've failed in restoring a diskdump (dd) backup. I'm running Red Hat 6.0
    > > (kernel 2.2.5-15) on Intel and I have a HP Colorado 14GBe tape drive
    > > attached to the paralell port. I'm loading the PARIDE subsystem as
    > > modules (insmod parport;insmod paride;insmod epat;insmod pt). What I've
    > > done is the following:
    > >
    > I use TAR ie:
    >
    > tar zcvfr /dev/npt0 * from / as root. Then I listed the tape out using
    > tar tvf /dev/npt0.
    >
    > James Mckenzie

    Thanks, I'll consider using tar in the future! In this case though I
    need to check my diskdump restore failure:

    # dd if=/dev/pt0 of=/dev/hdb
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out

    Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this?

    Would I be helped by the "full" mt command? Is there a pt driver that
    implements all (or most of) the mt command options?

    TIA!
    /Christian Eriksson