[PARPORT] Re: HP Colorado 5GBe help URGENTLY needed:-)

From: Laurence John Oliver (joliver@iinet.net.au)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 22:41:01 EDT

    Hi all,

    Thanks to the help/info from several people on this list I *finally*
    have my HP Colorado 5GBe tape drive working (i.e. backing up okay) - but
    the lack of any utils to use with it (it is ATAPI and things like
    ftape-tools/etc. won't work with it) means that I'm still at a loss on
    how to; ERASE, REWIND, etc...

    For ERASE, someone has suggested:

    'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/pt0 bs=8192'

    THIS command is *definitely* doing SOMETHING - but whatever its doing,
    its been going for about two hours already and I'm wondering how long it
    will take and if there is any way to use this command in a 'verbose
    mode' so I can get some sort of status report/update from it...

    Also hoping that I'm not actually doing any damage to the tape (?)

    Anyway - ANY help/info on this would be greatly appreciated...

    John.