[PARPORT] PCI Parallel

From: WODECKI, Victor (victor.wodecki@baesystems.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 20:36:54 EDT

    I've got an application which currently works (via our device driver)
    with an ISA-based parallel card (at 0x278), by directly talking to
    custom hardware via inb/outb to/from 0x278+offset.

    To try and improve throughput, I'd like to make this now work on
    a PCI-based card. I bought one locally, but can't seem to make
    it work with my application, which uses EPP reads and writes.

    lspci -v shows
    00:09.0 Parallel controller: Timedia Technology Co Ltd: Unknown device 7266
              (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [ECP])
            Subsystem: Timedia Technology Co Ltd: Unknown device 0103
            Flags: stepping, medium devsel, IRQ 12
            I/O ports at e000
            I/O ports at d800

    dmesg shows
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2,EPP]
    parport1: PC-style at 0xe000 (0xd800) [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
    parport1: detected irq 12; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation
    parport_probe: failed
    parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
    parport_probe: failed
    parport1: no IEEE-1284 device present.

    /proc/pci shows that it's a "Timedia Technology Noname 4008A (rev 1)"

    I'm using some EPP accesses on this device, and I changed my code
    so that instead of using 0x278 as the base address, it instead uses 0xe000,
    but nothing appears to happen. I also tried 0xd800, and 0x278 with no joy.

    Is there something else my driver should do, other than just changing
    the base address? The documentation that comes with the card is not much
    help, just describing how to install the Windows drivers. I can't easily
    test this card under Windows, as I don't have a Windows driver for our
    custom hardware, and no other parallel device handy. (Although I should
    try to find a parallel printer or something as a test...)

    The system is a 2.2.16 kernel.