Re: [PARPORT] Re: ftape with Trakker parallel port - lots of fun

From: Jochen Hoenicke (Jochen.Hoenicke@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 04:01:22 EDT

    On Aug 1, Tony Laszlo wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > Now trying to get ftape to work with Trakker on a
    > Toshiba Sattelite (notebook, CPU=486sx, ram=8M, HD=1G, running Debian Potato
    > w/ 2.2.17 kernel). Basically, I am trying this route after having
    > unsuccessfully wrestled with the Aptiva's two parallel ports (re report
    > from last month).
    >
    > I have compiled the kernel without FTAPE support, and with parport,
    > parport_pc, parport_probe, lp and ppa.
    >
    > I was able to change BIOS so that printer port
    > is bi-directional (=SPP?; all the was available -
    > couldn't stipulate the irq).
    >
    > My questions/problems:
    >
    > * parport gets loaded automatically, together with parport_probe. Not
    > sure how that happens. This kernel uses /etc/modules.conf and aks
    > the user to delete conf.modules (I did).

    That is not the kernel but the policy of your distribution. The
    modutils (modprobe) work with both /etc/conf.modules and
    /etc/modules.conf. The first file that exists is used.

    > But parport_probe is not
    > mentioned in this file. Earlier kernel on Debian used /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
    > I think, but this kernel doesn't have such a file (/etc/rcx.d/xxx)
    > Does anyone know where the system is getting the command to load
    > parport_probe?

    It is probably in the default configuration of your modutils. Use
    "/sbin/modprobe -c" to see the current configuration including the
    defaults.

    > It is not a big problem, but I have to rmmod this
    > module each time I try to load ftape (ftape can only be loaded
    > after parport_pc, apparently) and would rather not have to.
    >
    > * When parport_pc gets loaded, the hardward is recognized but
    > not the irq. echo 7 > /proc/parport/irq goes without a problem.
    > I have confirmed that lp and ppa work (the Iomega can be accessed
    > without any problem at all) but ftape, while it does get "registered"
    > still cannot be accessed, apparently not finding the irq...

    AFAIK lp and ppa doesn't need the irq, they can use polling instead.
    Ftape insists on using interrupts.

    Add the following to your /etc/modules.conf:

    options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

    You should also try disconnecting the zip drive and connecting the
    trakker as single device. The trakker doesn't know about standards to
    chain multiple drives to the same port.

    > ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
    > ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
    > ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use SPP
    > ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using SPP
    > [...]
    > [003] 0 fdc-parport.h (ft_parport_probe) - dev: c0085cc0.
    > [004] 0 fdc-parport.h (ft_parport_probe) - irq: 7.
    > [005] 0 fdc-parport.h (ft_parport_probe) - port: 378.
    > [006] 0 trakker.c (trakker_checksum) - checksum error (off by 9c).

    This can be caused by connecting trakker and zip with the same port.
    I have never tested this, though

    > [007] 0 fdc-parport.h (ft_parport_probe) - can't find parport interface for ftape id 0.
    > [008] 0 trakker.c (trakker_detect) - can't find trakker interface for ftape id 0.
    > [009] 0 trakker.c (trakker_detect) - ft_parport_probe(fdc, &trakker->parinfo) failed: -6.

      Jochen