Re: [PARPORT] Peripheral Request?

From: Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 14:34:33 EDT

    On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 01:48:16PM +0200, Stefan Eriksson wrote:

    > As far as I have understood the parport code, the application has to poll
    > the device for reverse data by itself (using /dev/lp or /dev/parport).
    > Did I get that correct?

    Yes. If you can write an extension for lp to optionally leave the
    device in reverse nibble mode, you can get an interrupt when the
    device has data. The trouble is that some printers (like all Canon
    Bubblejets, as far as I can tell) just stop dead when in reverse mode,
    even if they have data in the buffer ready to print. This braindead
    behaviour prevents OS implementations from using interrupts to find
    out when the device has data to send. :-(