Re: [PARPORT] forcing EPP Mode on SMC 37N869

From: Gunther Mayer (Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 14:47:34 EDT

    Sven Geggus wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > is it possible to force an SMC37N869 Controller to EPP Mode using direct
    > register access?
    >
    > Looks like my bios does not support the ECP&EPP Mode which is set using
    > CR04 on system Reset.

    Did you reprogram CR04 to the desired mode?

    The patch (see below) for 2.3.99 tries to identify some chips
    and a user expanded this and reported success on identifying
    and reprogramming his ISA chip on a parallel port PCI card (that
    included some custom PCI-ISA bridge of course),
    http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/superio5-lx2399p9.diff

    Please note that EPP detection by the parport code in linux is
    not fail proof (and cannot be by EPP hardware design)!

    Regards,
    Gunther