[PARPORT] Recompile kernal for paride

From: John Andress (phjca@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 15:09:00 EST

    Hi,

    Thanks to James and Cam for the advice.

    I have read Kernel-HOWTO and have two questions before I go ahead.

    1. Is there a way of running "make config" (or some other script) so that
    all the current selections are retained and I _only_ have to say "y" to
    the Parallel Port IDE support? My system was configured by someone else
    (and it generally works) but I don't know what responses he gave to the
    make script. BTW, Kernel-HOWTO does not explicitly say what the
    configuration file is called and where it resides.

    2. Section 9.2 of Kernel-HOWTO implies that I can leave my existing kernel
    alone and run "make modules", rather than configuring them into the
    kernel. Can I do this to get the same result so that I can then "insmod
    paride" successfully?

    Cheers,
    John.

    > to connect my Redhat 6.0 PC to a Shuttle tape streamer. I have the
    > following problem:
    >
    > [andress@localhost andress]# insmod paride
    > /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_claim_Rcca15f23
    > /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_register_device_R064ebecf
    > /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_unregister_device_R3618c96f
    > /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_enumerate_R648d1e26
    > /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_release_R4430d136
    > [andress@localhost andress]#

    You need to recompile your kernel to include Parallel Port IDE device
    support as modules. See the Kernel HOW-TO on how to accomplish this.

    NOTE: You should compile all of the Shuttle drivers. My HP
    tapestreamer uses the EPAT interface, but I failed to compile the EPST
    driver the fires time and the EPAT driver would not load.

    James Mckenzie