Re: [PARPORT] printing with 2.2.18pre21 kernel

From: Eythan Weg (weg@gauss.wintek.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 13:19:44 EST

    Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> writes:

    > On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 08:53:23AM -0500, Eythan Weg wrote:
    >
    > > Except for the kernel and its modules what else
    > > could potentially be involved with this failure?
    >
    > Not sure. If you go back to 2.2.16, does it work again? What about
    > 2.2.17?

    The reason I have changed kernels is that 2.2.16
    stopped printing. It coincided with some horror I
    created for myself deleting some files relating to
    my database of installed packages. In my
    hysteria, I thought I have done something to the
    printing. Since then I have upgraded much of my
    system (debian, woody). Everything seems normal
    and stable. But printing is pretty elusive now.
    2.2.16 does not print. It has parport in the
    kernel. I went to 2.2.17, with the same end
    result. At this point I thought something less
    stable would work and chose 2.4.0-test11-pre5.
    And it did print. Here I used parport as modules.
    But at some point it stopped printing. I have no
    clue why. I sought to find better luck with
    2.2.18pre21, but to no avail. This is my current
    situation. The printer is fine --- I can print
    from windows. I can write directly to to /dev/lp0
    with no return of errors.

    My question is how can this be traced?

    > Tim.
    > */