Re: [PARPORT] Please help me configuring my parport!

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 10:05:27 EST

    On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 04:05:55PM +0100, Erik Sigra wrote:

    > OK, the kernel obviously can't discover the DMA channel by
    > itself. Windows98 can discover it so the information is obviously
    > available somewhere (i didn't give it to Windows98). So this must be
    > a kerlel bug, right?

    I expect Windows either guessed, or knows more about the specific
    chipset than Linux does. Gunther Mayer has patches for adding this
    extra chipset detection to Linux.

    The 'none or set by other means' is what the chip said when we asked
    it what DMA channel it's using in the way that Microsoft's ECP ISA
    specification says to.

    I have Gunther's chipset patches in my CVS tree, so you might want to
    give <URL:ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/patches/patch-cvs-tmw.gz> a
    go.