Re: [PARPORT] Zip (ppa) detection with ECP/EPP Bios settings

From: Uwe Bonnes (bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 11:36:19 EST

    Tim Waugh writes:
    > On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 05:27:59PM +0100, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
    >
    > > Well, but "modprobe ppa" failed as long as ECP/EPP was set in the
    > > BIOS...
    >
    > ECP+EPP is bad, so David Campbell once told me. I don't know the
    > specifics of why ppa doesn't get along with it.

    Okay, this may be true.

    Warmbooting win95 after some failed detection attempt in ECP/EPP mode,
    windows also failed detection. Turning off Zip Drive/PC and coldbooting
    did get win95 to recognize the ZIP however wven in ECP/EPP mode.

    After finally finding that EPP makes ppa recognize the zip, we didn't
    test any further...

    Bye

    Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

    Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt