[PARPORT] [parport] Stepper Motor Control

From: LANNING CRAIG JOSEPH (lanning@rintintin.colorado.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 12:10:42 EST

    Hello All!

    I'm working on a project that is studying various aspects of suddenly
    started liquid jets. I have an existing system that uses a stepper motor
    to generate the jets. The motor is controlled through the parallel port.
    The data port sets direction and step clock and the status port is used
    to monitor forward and backward position limit switches. The current
    program uses DOS.

    I needed more robust control over the velocity profile of the stepper
    motor so I wrote a program in C and a friend configured an old
    Pentium with Debian for me (he can't be reached anymore). My program
    works on this old computer. I decided to upgrade the computer and bought
    An Acer PIII-650 because I need better control at the higher velocities.
    I put SUSE 6.4 on this computer.

    However on this new computer I cannot correctly read the status port. I
    have configured my Epson printer on the new computer and it works fine.
    I've skimmed through the parport archives but haven't found anything that
    helped. Might anyone know what is wrong? Could someone point me in the
    right direction to figure out what is wrong?

    Thanks in Advance

    CraiG