Re: [PARPORT] HP CDwriter 7500e

From: Kelsey Jordahl (kels@mbari.org)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 13:11:03 EST

    This is how I got an HP 7500 series CD-writer plus to write data CDs:

    1. make sure your kernel is compiled with support for paride and
    associated modules (and loopback mounts are handy, too)

    2. make sure cdrecord and mkisofs are installed on your system

    3. insert the modules and make the device drivers:
      # insmod paride
      # insmod epat
      # insmod pg
      # sh /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/paride/mkd

    4. make an ISO image of the directory you want to put on CD:
      # mkisofs -r -o cd_image /home/my_directory

    5. test the image with a loopback mount:
      # insmod loop [if necessary]
      # mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 cd_image /cdrom

    6. test the burn without actually turning on the laser (you need to
    have a blank CD loaded, though):
      # cdrecord -v speed=1 dev=0,0,0 -data -dummy cd_image
    You may be able to get away with speed=2 here, but it doesn't work for
    me. Enable EPP for the parallel port if your BIOS supports it.
    Try setting the delay to 0 when loading the pg module. Neither of
    these work for me, however.

    7. if there were no errors at step 6, burn the real CD:
      # cdrecord -v speed=1 dev=0,0,0 -data cd_image

    Unfortunately I am not able to write audio CDs, either with cdrecord
    or with cdrdao. I think this is a consequence of using an older
    laptop (Pentium 150) that is not fast enough to keep the fifo full
    while burning audio, which doesn't have EPP in the BIOS. I will
    probably post a more detailed question on this soon, when I have tried
    out my remaining options.

    Good luck.

    --
    Kelsey Jordahl