Re: [PARPORT] autoloading drivers based on ieee1284 device ID changes?

From: Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 04:42:46 EST

    On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 07:15:05PM -0800, Adam J. Richter wrote:

    > 1. Change the current sysconf ieee1284 printer ID interface
    > to actually read the data when requested rather than storing it.

    Yes. But how raw? (Byte count too? Correct for missing semi-colons
    at the end?)

    > 2. (Probably simultaneous with #1). Gut the printer ID
    > parsing code and have the interface just return the raw ID string.
    > As far as I can tell, nobody uses the parsed code. The parsing

    Hmm. What about lp=auto? (I don't suppose lp=auto is particularly
    widely used though..)

    > 3. Define a MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE format for parport clients.

    I like this.

    > static char __initdata printer_ids[] =
    > ".*;CLS:PRINTER;.*\n";

    Or "; *cl(as)?s: *printer" and make sure that the matching is
    case-insensitive and isn't requried to match the entire line.

    Some devices put trailing spaces all over the place too, and some
    don't even put a semi-colon at the end.

    > 7. One of these days, I would like to put together a mapping
    > of ieee1284 device ID's for printers to /etc/printcap and ghostscript
    > settings that would be regenerated every time a print job starts
    > printing (so you could switch printers), but that largely a separate
    > issue.

    I thought someone had started to do that, but I don't remember why I
    think that..