Re: [PARPORT] autoloading drivers based on ieee1284 device ID changes?

From: Philip Blundell (pb@futuretv.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 05:02:23 EST

    In message <200012130315.TAA32610@baldur.yggdrasil.com>, "Adam J. Richter" writ
    es:
    > 2. (Probably simultaneous with #1). Gut the printer ID
    >parsing code and have the interface just return the raw ID string.
    >As far as I can tell, nobody uses the parsed code.

    Seems like a good idea. I think c-qcam.c's probe routine uses the parsed-out
    data, but nothing else comes to mind.

    > 6. Add MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE entries to the current
    >users of partport_register_device if people will send me ID
    >strings (or they can the entries themselves):

    Many of these aren't IEEE1284 capable devices, unfortunately. But yes, where
    possible this would be good news.

    > 7. One of these days, I would like to put together a mapping
    >of ieee1284 device ID's for printers to /etc/printcap and ghostscript
    >settings that would be regenerated every time a print job starts
    >printing (so you could switch printers), but that largely a separate
    >issue.

    I have a vague recollection that someone at Red Hat was working on this a long
    time ago. I don't know if anything came of it.

    p.