Re: [PARPORT] [patch] 2.4.0-test13-pre1: parport_pc 'hardware' parameter

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 12:20:02 EST

    On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 05:15:58PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:

    > No, but I'm not convinced that `hardware=' is a particularly
    > descriptive name.

    No. I looked at 'fifo', but that would have caused some automatic
    variables to shadow it (no big deal, but icky.

    > What led you to want to disable this stuff?

    There are still bugs in the parport code, and it's quite tricky to
    talk people through how to track them down with the enormous number of
    possible code paths. Being able to get people who don't know how to
    even build a kernel to give bug reports that narrow down which
    codepath is at fault is very useful.

    See
    <URL:ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/patches/linux24/linux-trouble.patch>
    which I sent to Linus earlier today..