[PARPORT] PATCH: parport_device_id support + bloat, "version 2.2"

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 07:51:09 EST

            OK, here is a patch that restores the "compatability" routines
    that I believe are never used. I wanted to have all of the unneeded
    code in a separate file which would build a separate module in the
    modularized case, but exporting the "topology" variable, with its
    own structure format, from daisy.c was just too ugly. So, a small
    helper routine, parport_find, is in daisy.c.

            After this, what I would like to do is extend struct
    parport_driver (in a compatible way) to take an optional
    ID table, so the routine that calls parport_driver->attach
    can filter out devices that do not match, if desired. What is
    unclear to me right now is how daisy chaining can fit into this.
    Is it generally true that devices that have IEEE-1284.3 device ID's
    are also accessible through this daisy chaining mechanism? If so,
    then it would probably make sense to add a paramaeter to
    parport_driver->attach to indicate which device on the chain to
    attach to. Since old drives could just ignore the parameter, it
    would be compatible. If other devices on the daisy chain are generally
    not accessible, then only then only parport.probe_strings[0]
    should be considered.

    --
    Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
    adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034