[PARPORT] Difference between PPNEGOT and PPSETMODE?

From: Mohammed El Shobaki (mohammed.el.shobaki@mdh.se)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 21:00:51 EST

    Dear Parport Users and Developers,

    We have a problem with negotiating to EPP (or any other mode except COMPAT)
    using the PPNEGOT command (returns -1). However, if we run PPSETMODE for
    the same mode(s) as arguments it succeeds. The question is, what's the
    difference between NEGOT and SETMODE?

    Also, we're very confused by the failure of NEGOT because we are using real
    IEEE1284 ports that are claimed to support EPP and ECP. Even Parport tells
    so in the file /proc/parport/parport0/hardware (in Slakware) or in
    /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/hardware (in RedHat).

    We have been trying to get parport/ppdev working for a week now, and we've
    tried it on several kernels (from 2.2.17 up to 2.4.1). What could be the
    problem?

    Kind regards
    Mohammed