[PARPORT] probs printing w/ 2.2.18

From: Harry Mangalam (mangalam@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 16:51:31 EST

    Hi All,

    I have a mostly RH 6.1 system, 2xPPro, SCSI, 2 NICs, cable modem,
    quite stable.

    I have the following problem: I just converted to using the 2.2.18
    kernel from a 2.2.14 kernel to support Postgres 7. Printing using
    the old kernel was fine using the old-style lpd/lpr.

    Since starting to use the new kernel, noticed that the printing
    wasn't working (had restarted with the printer off and the autoprobe
    hadn't picked up a device attached to the port); have since restarted
    and the printer is detected correctly (and is autoprobe-able as well).

    After trying all kinds of gynmastics with modules and lpd/lpr,
    finally got to the point where when I tried to print something, the
    printer would print a single page with "No spool file found" at the
    top. So I decided that this was a lost cause, and decided to install
    LPRng which I'd heard was a better long-term solution anyway.

    However, the printer (HPLJ 6MP postscript) is clearly communicating
    (via the same bidirectional cable it was printing with before, not
    the std parallel cable). It prints both the characters printed
    directly to the /dev/lp1 port via printtool and lprngtool AND prints
    the "Spool File not found" error message. I get the same response
    with a 'normal' priner cable as well, so it does not appear to be
    a cable problem.

    LPRng certainly has better diagnostics and error checking but now
    I've gotten to a similar point (except that it just fails quietly, no
    printed page ejects at all).

    If I disable the port by unloading all the parport modules, I can see
    the spool files, but otherwise they just silently disappear and
    nothing happens.

    The printer was fine before and in fact works well with a directly
    connected Mac.

    here are my configs and the result of some tests:

    in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
     .
     .
    insmod parport
    insmod parport_pc io=0x3bc,0x378,0x278 irq=none,7,auto
    insmod parport_probe
    insmod lp
     .

    and they load OK
    ==============
    24 % lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    lp 5244 0
    parport_probe 3204 0
    parport_pc 7328 3
    parport 7304 3 [lp parport_probe parport_pc]
    cs4232 2408 1
    uart401 5968 1 [cs4232]
    ad1848 16016 1 [cs4232]
    ip_masq_raudio 2736 0 (unused)
    ip_masq_ftp 2384 0 (unused)
    ip_masq_cuseeme 848 0 (unused)
    appletalk 18048 11 (autoclean)
    smc-ultra 4040 1 (autoclean)
    8390 6660 0 (autoclean) [smc-ultra]
    sound 57388 0 (autoclean) [cs4232 uart401 ad1848]
    soundcore 2340 5 (autoclean) [sound]

    ==============
    and the printer is detected on the port
    ==============
    13 % cat /proc/parport/1/autoprobe
    CLASS:PRINTER;
    MODEL:HP LaserJet 6MP;
    MANUFACTURER:Hewlett-Packard;
    COMMAND SET:PJL,MLC,PCLXL,PCL,POSTSCRIPT;

    ==============
    testing that lprng starts fine
    ==============
    6 % lprng start
    Starting lpd: [ OK ]

    and...

    23 % ps aux |grep lpd
    daemon 981 0.0 0.3 1636 764 ? S 12:17 0:00 lpd Waiting

    ===============
    /usr/local/etc/printcap:

    ##LPRNGTOOL## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 600x600 letter {} PostScript Default {}
    lp|hp
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
    :sh
    :mx=0
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct
    :ml=0
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log
    :cd=/var/spool/lpd/lp/
    :lp=/dev/lp1
    :if=/usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/master-filter
    :

    ==============
    checkpc finds nothing wrong with the setup (GREAT util!)
    ==============
    21 % /usr/local/src/LPRng-3.7.4/src/checkpc

    [no errors reported]

    ==============
    but...
    ==============
    22 % lpr ~hjm/stats

    (no errors, but also no print output)

    ==============
    here's the spool dir
    ==============
    7 % ls -la /var/spool/lpd/lp
    total 42
    drwx------ 2 daemon daemon 1024 Feb 10 12:24 ./
    drwxrwxr-x 6 root daemon 1024 Feb 10 12:23 ../
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 4 Feb 10 10:14 .seq
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 4368 Feb 10 12:24 acct
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 22 Feb 10 11:00 control.lp
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 12288 Feb 10 12:24 db.lp
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 10214 Feb 10 10:11 filter
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 191 Feb 10 10:11 general.cfg
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 22 Feb 10 10:14 lock
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 0 Feb 10 10:23 log
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 0 Feb 10 12:24 lp
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 1045 Feb 10 10:59 lpq.0
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 347 Feb 10 10:11 postscript.cfg
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 25 Feb 10 10:14 status
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 3035 Feb 10 12:24 status.lp
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 147 Feb 10 10:11 textonly.cfg
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 5 Feb 10 12:24 unspooler.lp

    ======================
    if unload all parport modules to block the printer access...:
    ======================
    33% rmmod lp parport_probe parport_pc parport

    34 % lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    cs4232 2408 1
    uart401 5968 1 [cs4232]
    ad1848 16016 1 [cs4232]
    ip_masq_raudio 2736 0 (unused)
    ip_masq_ftp 2384 0 (unused)
    ip_masq_cuseeme 848 0 (unused)
    appletalk 18048 11 (autoclean)
    smc-ultra 4040 1 (autoclean)
    8390 6660 0 (autoclean) [smc-ultra]
    sound 57388 0 (autoclean) [cs4232 uart401 ad1848]
    soundcore 2340 5 (autoclean) [sound]

    THEN can see the spool files:
    Feb 10@12:33pm cx408397-a:/var/spool/lpd/lp 11 % ll
    total 57
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 5051 Feb 10 12:34 acct
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 179 Feb 10 12:34 cfA270cx408397-a.irvn1.occa.home.com
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 22 Feb 10 11:00 control.lp
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 12848 Feb 10 12:34 db.lp
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 8244 Feb 10 12:34 dfA270cx408397-a.irvn1.occa.home.com
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 552 Feb 10 12:34 hfA270
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 5 Feb 10 12:34 lp
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 1045 Feb 10 10:59 lpq.0
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 347 Feb 10 10:11 postscript.cfg
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 25 Feb 10 10:14 status
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 6499 Feb 10 12:34 status.lp
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 147 Feb 10 10:11 textonly.cfg
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 5 Feb 10 12:34 unspooler.lp

    but no printing even when the modules are re-loaded as above

    and the spool files disappear.

    I'm stumped! Any hints?

    This sounds a bit like the problem that Eythan Weg had last year, but
    in his case it looked like his cable was just buggered. I have
    tested my cable on other machines and it's communicating on this
    machine as well (and was printing fine under 2.2.14)..

    Any ideas?

    Cheers
    harry

    --