[PARPORT] Getting started with Parport configuration

From: Syed, Hassan (ETD) (Hassan.Syed@compaq.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 10:05:22 EST

    Hi,

    Hope you can help me with making some headway in programming the
    parallel port on Armada E500. I am using Redhat 7.0 with kernel 2.4.2

    This is what I did so far:
    insmod parport
    insmod ppdev
    insmod parport_pc

    dmesg returns:

    ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP, TRISTATE, EPP]
    parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(88)
    parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(88)
    parport0: faking semi-colon
    parport0: Legacy device

    Now for the programming part:
    #include <linux/parport.h>
    #include <linux/ppdev.h>

    fd =open ("/dev/parport0", O_RDWR);
    if (fd = -1) {
       perror ("open");
       exit (0);
    }

    if (ioctl (fd, PPCLAIM)) {
       perror ("PPCLAIM");
    }

    The following message results:
    PPCLAIM: Invalid argument

    I would apreciate any pointers on what I am missing.

    Thanks,
    Hassan