Re: [PARPORT] CompactFlash Card Reader

From: Matt Roberds (mattroberds@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 17:10:33 EST

    >Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:14:02 +0000
    >From: Martin Knott <knott@clara.co.uk>
    >
    >Does anyone have any experience getting a parallel port CompactFlash Card
    >Reader to work under Linux.

    The parallel port reader I am aware of is the SanDisk model. There is
    no driver for it already as far as I know. I started messing with it a
    while back, but haven't got very far...it helps when you don't blow up
    your motherboard parallel port, too. :)

    The SanDisk reader I have uses a Shuttle EPST chip. There is an EPST
    protocol driver in the parport code, but it apparently can't quite
    cope with the latest revisions of the chip. I ran a DOS driver for
    the reader under dosemu and traced the I/O, and the protocol that
    this reader is using is very similar to, but not exactly the same as,
    what the EPST driver does currently.

    If the goal is "read CF card in Linux" there are a couple of options
    besides hacking the EPST driver. If you have a machine with PCMCIA
    slots, you can get a CF->PCMCIA adapter connector rather cheaply -
    mine cost US$15. If you have USB, Shuttle's newer USB reader is
    said to support Linux. If the card happens to be used in a digital
    camera, you may be able to use gPhoto, www.gphoto.org , to download
    pictures from the camera's serial port - slow, but gets it done.
    I believe similar software exists for other CF applications like
    MP3 players.

    I hope this helps!

    Matt Roberds