[PARPORT] paride not reporting correct drive size

From: bad_knee (bad_knee@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 06:44:52 EST

    I've got a maxtor 20 gig drive in an H45 parallel port IDE external
    enclosure.
    The paride module does not report the correct size of the drive. I've
    tried
    the patch mentioned in:

    http://gear.torque.net/parport/archive/current/0212.html

    but to no avail.

    I installed the drive as a slave internally to format it thinking that
    would
    help, and the Maxtor setup program reported the drive geometry as
    38752/16/63 in CHS mode. So, I set the bios to this and formatted the
    drive.

    I installed the drive back in the H45 enclosure and tried it again with
    the 2.4
    kernel module, but I still get different geometry settings for the
    drive.

    kernel: paride: version 1.05 installed
    kernel: paride: epat registered as protocol 0
    kernel: pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
    kernel: pda: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
    kernel: pda: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 5 (EPP-32),
    delay 1
    kernel: pda: Maxtor 32049H2, master, 16514064 blocks [8063M],
    (16383/16/63), fixed media
    Feb 28 05:37:18 fungal450 kernel: pda: pda1

    Is this a bug, or does anyone know of some dox laying around that tell
    how
    to fix this?

    Thanks,
    Tobias