Re: [PARPORT] Console over parallel port

From: Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 06:46:55 EST

    On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:37:00PM -0800, Tim Hassan wrote:

    > Is it possible to do console over parrallel. I want to be able to
    > get kernel messages over the parallel port just like you would on
    > the serial port. I am having this problem because I only have 1
    > serial port on this weird BAT (Baby AT) motherboard, and it is used
    > by the LCD.

    Yes, parallel port console is possible.

    > As this box is headless (i.e. no keyboard/monitor), configuring over
    > serial/parallel is the only option. I saw something related under
    > character devices in kernel, but don't remember which one. Does
    > 2.2.x support it? or only 2.4.x?

    It is only supported under 2.4.x. There is a patch on
    <URL:http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/parport/> somewhere to add
    support to 2.2.x though.

    > Secondly, where can I find more documentation on this certain feature?

    Documentation/serial-console.txt.

    > Lastly, is it possible to use one of those belkin cables "DB 25 male
    > to DB9 female" to connect the workstation with the terminal
    > emulation program to the linux box's parallel port?
    > (e.g. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/picassocomputers/cab-belk-f2l088-10.html)

    I'm not sure what you're asking, really. It sounds like you want to
    be able to connect one machine to another with a parallel port cable
    and control it, just like with a serial cable.

    Currently, parallel port console is meant for printers only, which
    means that messages come out from the computer to the printer, but not
    the other way around. It's just for logging, not for control.

    You might want to investigate PLIP if you want to be able to network
    that machine and don't have a network card. (Or you could just get a
    network card..)