Re: [PARPORT] Probing for Super-IO Chips in parport_pc

From: Uwe Bonnes (bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 07:56:45 EST

        Tim> On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 06:41:13PM +0100, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
    >> do we want to probe at "random" IO ports?

        Tim> No, we don't. I've done the rest of the places I think need
        Tim> check_region. The patch is at
        Tim> <URL:ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/patches/linux24/linux-sioregion.patch>.

    Should we report those registers as used by using request_region()?
    There are few chances that some other driver probing this region will cause
    harm, because of the magic needed to enter configuration mode, however the
    users might think that the area of the Superio is unoccupied and use if for
    other drivers. Actually as ISA cards are dying this is also no great danger
    any more...

    >> There are more places(via_686a) that would need that protection, if
    >> accepted as usefull.

        Tim> I think the via_686a probe is okay, because it's triggered by PCI
        Tim> IDs.

    You're right!

    Bye

    Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------