Re: [PARPORT] Probing for Super-IO Chips in parport_pc

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 06:21:20 EST

    On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 06:41:13PM +0100, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

    > do we want to probe at "random" IO ports?

    No, we don't. I've done the rest of the places I think need
    check_region. The patch is at
    <URL:ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/patches/linux24/linux-sioregion.patch>.

    > There are more places(via_686a) that would need that protection, if accepted
    > as usefull.

    I think the via_686a probe is okay, because it's triggered by PCI
    IDs.

    > However a cleaner solution would be i.m.h.o. to have a /proc/superio
    > entry, that exports the relevant information (manufacturer, ioport
    > for the different devices, mode of the devices) in a genuine way at
    > least for reading. Device drivers would read information from the
    > appropriate entries and handle things according to that information.

    I'd rather not add even more bloat to that file. If we had to keep
    this information around, it would go in /proc/sys/dev/parport/*/, but
    I don't think it's really needed.

    Gunther, can you take a look at the patch and see if you agree with
    the changes?

    Thanks,