Re: [PARPORT] Micro Solutions Backpack CD Rewriter 4E

From: Shawn D'Alimonte (sdalimon@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 20:45:16 EDT

    On Sunday 22 April 2001 15:02, Pavel Mach wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I would like burn CDs under Linux RH7.0 using Micro Solutions
    > Backpack CD Rewriter 4E connected
    > through paralel port.
    > It works as another CD-ROM drive (using pcd device) but not as CDR.
    > Please, do anybody has
    > an experience with buring through paralel port CDR? Your help is
    > welcome.

    I used to use one of those on a Presario 1275. I used backpack.o from
    Microsolutions web page.

    I seem to remember using something like this in rc.local.
    modprobe parport
    modprobe parport_pc
    modprobe backpack
    modprobe pg
    modprobe pcd

    The version of cdrecord that came with with Mandrake 7.2 worked. I am
    not sure what that was as the machine now runs Progeny and the Backpack
    is connected to a Windows machine.

    This shouldn't cause it to not work, but you should also make sure the
    parallel port is in EPP/ECP mode and that it has an interrupt. This
    improves performance a lot.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Shawn D'Alimonte   sdalimon@home.com