Re: [PARPORT] How do I know wich device reffers to each /dev/parport entry?

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 07:54:35 EDT

    On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 01:44:49PM +0200, Ronnie Arosa wrote:

    > if I try to load parport_pc's module, my box crash down. What I'm
    > making wrong?

    I need much more detail about this.

    What _exactly_ happens? Does the machine freeze up? Does it reboot?
    Does the keyboard stop working (does num-lock still work?)? Does it
    make a difference whether or not you are running X at the time?

    What exactly do you have in /etc/modules.conf? If you have lines
    beginning with 'options parport_pc', take them out.

    What type of parallel port do you have: integrated into the
    motherboard, or on an add-on card? If an add-on card, PCI or ISA? If
    you know, what is the base address of the port, and does it have an
    IRQ or DMA?

    Do you have any other operating systems on that machine, and if so,
    can they use the parallel port without any trouble?

    If you use the actual 2.4.2-2 kernel packages that come on the CD,
    rather than using a recompiled kernel, does that show the same
    problems?

    Thanks,