Re: [PARPORT] How do I know wich device reffers to each /dev/parport entry?

From: Ronnie Arosa (infrac00@des.fi.udc.es)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 11:01:50 EDT

    > I need much more detail about this.
    >
    > What _exactly_ happens? Does the machine freeze up? Does it reboot?
    > Does the keyboard stop working (does num-lock still work?)? Does it
    > make a difference whether or not you are running X at the time?

    The machine freeze up, nor the keybor nor the mouse works. And it's the same
    wether running X or not.

    > What exactly do you have in /etc/modules.conf? If you have lines
    > beginning with 'options parport_pc', take them out.

    This is my /etc/modules.conf
    alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
    alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    alias eth0 3c509

    > What type of parallel port do you have: integrated into the
    > motherboard, or on an add-on card? If an add-on card, PCI or ISA? If
    > you know, what is the base address of the port, and does it have an
    > IRQ or DMA?

    It's on an add-on card, concretely a PCI. It's a OX12PCI840 from Oxford
    Semiconductors.

    Bus 0, device 18, function 0:
       Parallel controller: PCI device 1415:8403 (Oxford Semiconductor Ltd) (rev
    0)
    .
          IRQ 11.
          I/O at 0xeff0 [0xeff7].
          I/O at 0xefe4 [0xefe7].
          I/O at 0xef40 [0xef5f].
          Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfebed000 [0xfebedfff].

    > Do you have any other operating systems on that machine, and if so,
    > can they use the parallel port without any trouble?

    Yes I have. I've got Windows 98, and I can use it under Windows 98 with no
    problem.

    > If you use the actual 2.4.2-2 kernel packages that come on the CD,
    > rather than using a recompiled kernel, does that show the same
    > problems?

    I haven't try yet.

    Thanks,
    Ronnie.