Re: [PARPORT] Problems with Philips CDD-3610

From: jjore@imation.com
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 16:11:38 EDT

    Which version of epat are you using? Consider trying the patch at
    http://www.electricgod.net/~moomonk/epat. It allows you to use the newer
    c7/c8 chips. You'll need to select as a compile time option.

    Josh

    "Christopher J. Kucera" <ckucera@globalcrossing.com>
    Sent by: owner-linux-parport@gear.torque.net
    05/15/01 02:33 PM

            To: linux-parport@torque.net
            cc:
            Subject: [PARPORT] Problems with Philips CDD-3610

    'ello, everyone. I've been racking my brain out about this
    problem, and I'm hoping someone on the list can help out. I've
    searched around the archives for similar problems, and found a few,
    but no solutions offered worked for me. So here goes.

    I've got a Philips CDD-3610 CD Burner I'd like to hook up to my
    Linux box, currently running kernel 2.4.4-ac4. Before I do anything,
    here's my module list (just stuff for my sound card):

    > [root@gaia /root]# lsmod
    > Module Size Used by
    > cs4232 3056 0
    > uart401 6096 0 [cs4232]
    > ad1848 16560 0 [cs4232]

    The CDD-3610 uses the EPAT protocol, and everything looks good when
    I modprobe that module:

    > [root@gaia /root]# modprobe epat
    > [root@gaia /root]# lsmod
    > Module Size Used by
    > epat 6048 0 (unused)
    > paride 3712 1 [epat]
    > parport 13760 0 [paride]
    > cs4232 3056 0
    > uart401 6096 0 [cs4232]
    > ad1848 16560 0 [cs4232]

    When I try to load the pg module, however, things go haywire:

    > [root@gaia /root]# insmod pg drive0=0x378,0
    > Using /lib/modules/2.4.4-ac4/kernel/drivers/block/paride/pg.o
    > /lib/modules/2.4.4-ac4/kernel/drivers/block/paride/pg.o: init_module:
    Operation not permitted
    > Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
    including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

    The output from dmesg looks okay up until that point as well:

    > [root@gaia /root]# dmesg | tail
    > paride: version 1.06 installed (parport)
    > paride: epat registered as protocol 0
    > pg: pg version 1.02, major 97
    > PnPBIOS: Parport found PNPBIOS PNP0401 at io=0378,0778 irq=7 dma=3
    > parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP(,...)]
    > pg0: Adapter not found
    > pg: No ATAPI device detected

    Just to be sure, I checked to make sure that 0x378 was the correct
    address of my parallel port, and that /dev/pg0 was set up properly,
    and it looks like everything is:

    > [root@gaia /root]# ls -l /dev/pg0
    > crw------- 1 root sys 97, 0 Apr 17 1999 /dev/pg0
    > [root@gaia /root]# cat /proc/ioports | grep parport
    > 0378-037a : parport0

    Can anyone help me out with this? Many thanks
    in advance . . .

    -CJ