Re: [PARPORT] Parallel port problems

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 09:07:39 EDT

    On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 07:11:04PM -0400, Pete Rossi wrote:

    > The card is marked as "SPP/ECP/EPP parallel port" (1P) and the chip on the
    > card says "ITE 8875" however, note that /proc/pci says Device id=8872.

    I just looked at ITE's web page (ite.com.tw). The 8875 is a parallel
    port chip; the 8872 is a multi-IO chip (2S1P). Judging from the
    number of I/O regions, I would guess that this is actually an 8872
    with no serial connectors.

    > It is identified in /proc/pci as:

    Could you show the output from lspci -nvv for that card?

    > I was looking through the parport_pc.c code for any clues and it appears
    > that I should be specifying the 0xd000 0xc800 or 0xc000 addresses as it
    > looks for the ECP data at base+0x400.

    Yes, but for PCI cards it's a different story because the ECR register
    could be anywhere, and not necessarily at a fixed offset. Really we
    need to tell parport_pc about ITE's cards so it knows which BARs mean
    what. I have sent mail to a guy there who I hope may be able to
    help find some datasheets.

    > I am still looking through the
    > code but in the meantime I thought I would ask if this device should
    > be supported, and if not, are there any plans for support in the future.

    It isn't supported currently. Judging from your experiments, it looks
    like the support won't happen until the datasheets appear (they aren't
    on the web site).

    > I am running 2.2.19 Kernel.

    If and when support for this card is added, it will be for the 2.4.x
    kernel series.

    Thanks for the info,