Re: [PARPORT] PCI ECP Parallel port card questions

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 09:52:27 EDT

    On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 12:41:54PM +0100, Philip.Blundell@pobox.com wrote:

    > >The Linux driver. Basically, as soon as someone gets PCI interrupts
    > >going in the driver, DMA support will follow naturally.
    >
    > What's the big deal with PCI interrupts, exactly?

    No big deal, I just haven't gotten around to testing it yet. If
    someone has copious spare time and the interest, perhaps they could do
    it instead. :-)

    One thing is that I think the user options should be respected; in
    particular, IRQs default to PROBE_ONLY, meaning that the IRQ should be
    reported but not used. The user can say 'irq=auto' and make it so
    that the IRQs are also used if they are known.

    When the PnPBIOS stuff is integrated, perhaps it will finally be safe
    to change the default from PROBE_ONLY to AUTO.