Re: [PARPORT] PCI ECP Parallel port card questions

From: Jesús Torres (jesus.torres@iname.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 17:09:16 EDT

    On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 11:57:46AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
    > On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 11:45:47AM +0100, Jesús Torres wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 06:31:20PM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
    > > > But why switch away from a DMA ECP-capable onboard port anyway?
    > >
    > > I have a throughtput of 500 KB/s with a onboard port.
    >
    > Using DMA?

    DMA or PIO.

    > > Is The DMA support a restriction of the Linux driver or of the PCI bus?
    >
    > The Linux driver. Basically, as soon as someone gets PCI interrupts
    > going in the driver, DMA support will follow naturally.
    >
    > Tim.
    > */

    But that DMA isn't the same that ISA DMA. The ISA DMA is a third level
    DMA with a device and every card must use a channel.
    The PCI DMA is altrought the bus master support.

    --
              /      \                       Jesús Miguel Torres Jorge
            /          \       __          Tenerife, Canary Island, SPAIN

    NO subestimes el poder de la Ley de Servicios de la Sociedad de la Información (LSSI) ˇˇˇFUERA LA LSSI YA!!! http://www.kriptopolis.com/