[PARPORT] Backpack Bantam CD Rewriter / bpck6 / redhat 7.1 (help needed)

From: John Miskinis (miskinis@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 21:46:31 EDT

    Hi Folks,

    I recently purchased a "series 6" bantam backpack CD/RW
    drive, which I am trying to get to work on Redhat 7.1.
    on my IBM Thinkpad 560.

    I think I'm very close (hopefully) to getting this to work,
    but can't find the answers to my questions anywhere on the
    net.

    It appears the company "Micro Solutions" which manufactures
    the drive, is stopping support on LINUX. There is another
    company (Roxio?) that is now handling their support page, etc.
    Although a 2.4 "binary module" (bpck) is available, it complained
    about my kernel version 2.4.2, so I gave up on this route.

    I found the bpck6 patch file, and was able to split it
    into pieces (1 per file) and then was able to patch and build a
    new kernel with Backpack Series 6 support.

    I'm able to insmod parport, paride, and bpck6, with no errors.
    On the insmod bpck6, I get the message about the protocol being
    installed as unit 0, or whatever. In my /var/log/messages file,
    it complains about not finding block-major-41. I'm not sure
    if/what I have to add to /etc/modules.conf. I tried adding
    something like "block-major-41 bpck6", but it didn't help.

    I also noticed something (some paride web pages?) that mentions
    that when using a Micro Solutions backpack drive, one must also
    know the "unit number" or "chain ID", which is usually the last
    2 digits of the serial number, but it says to check the
    Micro Solutions documentation. (What documentation?)

    1) Does anyone have a "series 6" drive working on Redhat 7.1 or
       any other linux distribution? Or any web site pointers that
       have detailed information?

    2) I have device files /dev/bpcd and /dev/bpcd1, do I need
       anything else?

    Many thanks in advance,