Re: [PARPORT] How to slow down parport? (and a note to Epson 740 owners)

From: Michael Lindner (mikell@optonline.net)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 17:07:22 EDT

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 18:38:27 +0100, Tim Waugh said:

    > On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 10:20:34AM -0400, Michael Lindner wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Dell Dimension 8100 and an Epson 740 printer. "Out of the
    > > box" it won't print under Linux (Red Hat 7.1 with 2.4.4 kernel), but
    > > will under Windows. After some experimentation I discovered that if
    > > I save the output of "gs" and send the characters to /dev/lp0 slowly
    > > enough, it prints. So, is there any way to control the speed at
    > > which characters are sent out?
    >
    > I'm glad you got to the bottom of this. That's fairly strange
    > though..

    Thanks for the quick response!

    I agree, it IS wierd, and I spoke too soon - not having repeated all the tests
    I made. What I did was to run "gs ... file.ps" into a file, and send the file
    directly to /dev/lp0 in 1000 byte chunks at 1/10 second intervals. That worked,
    whereas "lpr file.ps" did not, so I assumed it was parport's fault. What I
    didn't try again, and should have, was "gs ... file.ps > /dev/lp0". Voila, it
    works! So, the problem now appears to lie with lpd and NOT parport. My
    apologies. Any clues on what to do now?

    Graphics printed via lpr print part or most of a page, but eventually the thing
    just dies (lpq reports nothing in the queue but the page is partially printed
    and the printer's busy light is flashing) and I have to power cycle the
    printer.

    By the way, the way I got the printer to print at all (hope this helps future
    users of Epson 740s) was to load the parport module (by echoing to /dev/lp0),
    then turning the printer off, DISCONNECTING the cable, then reconnecting it and
    powering the printer on again. simply power cycling the printer didn't work
    (although I'm not sure why not).

    --
    Michael Lindner
    http://home.att.net/~mikel