Re: [PARPORT] How to slow down parport? (and a note to Epson 740 owners)

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 17:35:04 EDT

    On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 05:07:22PM -0400, Michael Lindner wrote:

    > By the way, the way I got the printer to print at all (hope this
    > helps future users of Epson 740s) was to load the parport module (by
    > echoing to /dev/lp0), then turning the printer off, DISCONNECTING
    > the cable, then reconnecting it and powering the printer on
    > again. simply power cycling the printer didn't work (although I'm
    > not sure why not).

    You shouldn't have to do this though, since that printer is an IEEE
    1284 one and shouldn't get confused by being asked to identify
    itself.

    Can you trying compiling a kernel that doesn't have IEEE 1284 support
    (i.e. with CONFIG_PARPORT_1284 unset), and see what effect that has?
    To make sure the test is fresh, turn off the machine, turn off the
    printer, unplug it, re-insert it, and turn on the printer and then the
    machine, and boot it into the new kernel.

    I'd just like to double check that it's really the IEEE 1284 probe
    that's upsetting it, rather than anything else that happens at
    initialisation.

    Thanks,