Re: SV: [PARPORT] Zip Drive Stopped Working (fwd)

From: robeano (robeano@drizzle.com)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 10:47:03 EDT

    Jarmo,

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Jarmo Paavilainen wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Are you sure the drive is working? Old Zip drives had a construction error,
    > so they could just say click and die.

    Yes, the zip drive is working and the disk is good. I have another
    computer that can access the zip drive and disk without a problem. There
    has never been any clicking sound.

    Yesterday, I tried booting to DOS (using a DOS boot disk) and loading the
    drivers there. I could not. It looks like DOS was unable to "see" the
    zip drive as well. I think this indicates a hardware problem, maybe an
    IRQ problem? Of course, I don't have a problem printing to my HP LaserJet
    5L, which makes this problem seem really weird to me. How could the
    parallel port work for a printer but not the zip drive? Does anybody know
    of any diagnostic tools I could use to help me with this problem?

    Thanks,

    -Robin