[PARPORT] How do I run Zip-Drive and CD-ROM on the same parallel port?

From: Peter Bittner (peter.bittner@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 05:49:47 EDT

    Hi there!

    I've read in http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html that it's possible to
    run several IDE devices on on parallel port.

    Now I've connected my Iomega Zip100 to the parallel port of my Linux machine
    and plugged the CD-ROM drive's parallel cable into the Zip100's printer
    port.
    The Zip runs fine as long as the CD-ROM drive is not installed (executing
    "modprobe kbic" - since it is a KingByte parallel port IDE case hosting a
    normal CD-ROM drive) and mounted. If so, however, the CD-ROM runs fine and can be
    mounted, but the Zip is then stone-dead.

    How can I achieve that simply that both devices share the same port? (I have
    SuSE Linux 7.1, and I'm not so experienced that I'd think I'd recompile the
    kernel...)

    That's what I have in my /etc/rc.d/boot.local to install the two devices at
    boot time:

      modprobe kbic
      modprobe ppa

    Is there a simple solution the make the two drives share the parport?

    Cheers, Peter

    --
    Peter Bittner
    web: http://beam.to/peter.bittner