Re: [PARPORT] Zip Drive Stopped Working (fwd)

From: robeano (robeano@drizzle.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 17:52:42 EDT

    James,

    Sorry, it took me awhile to respond to your message. I tried using the
    IMM module and here's what dmesg says:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]
    parport_probe: failed
    parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
    imm: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.0.0)
    scsi : 0 hosts.

    Also, I've been trying to find and use hardware analysis tools to see if
    the parallel port has a problem (again, it does connect to a printer and
    print correctly). Maybe it's an IRQ problem? Who knows. I tried using
    Dr. Hardware, a DOS program that tests all kinds of hardware. Its printer
    test worked correctly. I attached a loop-back device (wired as they
    specified in the help documentation), but Dr. Hardware would not run the
    loopback test. This is shareware, so it may not allow me to run the test
    until I pay for it or it may not work. When I run the loopback test, it
    looks like nothing happens. It returns no errors or warnings of any
    kind.

    Any suggestions for checking the parallel port hardware would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks,

    -Robin

     Robin Barre Web Developer/Linux Chik