Re: [PARPORT] A Query

From: Kurt Roeckx (Q@ping.be)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 07:12:05 EDT

    On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 08:46:40AM +0500, Kashif Majid wrote:
    > Hi there!
    > I was wondering how one can find out the interfaces
    > exported by the Microsoft's Win2K parallel port driver?

    I guess you have to ask that to Microsoft. Maybe it's on there
    knoweldgebase? I assume you want to do more then just write to a
    device? If you find anything about this, please let me know.

    Anyway, because of lack of a decent driver I could for windows, I
    started porting the Linux driver to work under cygwin. For the
    moment it already works in compat and nibble mode, probably byte
    mode too. I'm not sure if it will work under win2k, or NT, but
    it works under win98. NT and win2k don't allow direct access to
    the ports, and do some emulation, which might cause some
    problems.

    I just removed about everything that has to do with IRQ and DMA,
    because I don't need them for my device, it only supports nibble
    mode. I also had to remove alot of things that were specific to
    the kernel, like calls to shedule(). I almost removed all
    timeouts. I think it should even run in usermode under Linux if
    you call ioperm() first.

    I would like to make everything work properly under windows 98,
    but I'm not sure what is possible. I've never used DMA or IRQs
    under windows, and I assume this would best live as a driver, and
    have no idea how to write that. If it was a driver, it would
    probably run under NT/2K too.

    I currently don't have much time for it, but I really would love
    to make a decent driver for windows.

    Kurt